Friday, November 25, 2011

Day-After-Turkey trot

I skipped the black Friday shopping this year and slept in.  After lounging around my house and eating some leftovers, I felt like going to a run.  It was super nice out!  Since I ate my fair share of turkey, stuffing, and desserts yesterday, I needed to go for a day-after-turkey trot. 

I ran the same loop that I did a few weeks ago.  It's about three and a third miles.  The last part of the run is all uphill, so it's usually my slowest and most difficult part.  It's such a great feeling when you climb those last few hills and don't give up.

A few years ago when I worked at a gym, I signed up for some personal training sessions.  I'll never forget what my trainer told me.  Every time I would quit or give up on the last few push-ups, he would always say, "you are only cheating yourself."  He was right, and after that I realized it wasn't fair for me to cheat myself out of what I deserved. 

That's how I feel every time I reach the end of my run.  I don't want to cheat myself anymore.  I just have to dig deep and do it.   Even if it's slow, like my last part of my run,  I just kept going.  It's amazing how much you have left in you when you feel like you've reached the end.  I love the feeling after a run where you know you gave it your all.

Motivated yet?

When I met my friend at the gym later on, I didn't have much steam left.  You know when your muscles are just all out of energy?  Even though I felt like that I still gave it everything I had left.  It was a pretty good work out.  It's always helpful to have a buddy to cheer you on and keep you motivated.  We did some of my most hated exercises, such as burpees and push-ups.  I know they are good for you, but I usually avoid them at all costs.  It was good to have someone there to give me the little push that I needed.  I'll definitely be sore tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!