Sunday, November 20, 2011

Running in the Cold


Saturday morning I was planning on going to the gym, because it seemed cold and windy outside.  On the way to the gym I changed my mind and continued driving to the Quannapowit Lake.  Quannapowitt lake is a little more than 3 miles long, and it's often used for 5ks.  Hello! Perfect training opportunity. 

A few weeks ago I realized that I should be training more outside, to get used to running in the cold.  Since this morning was about 45 degrees, and really windy, I knew it wouldn’t be pleasant.  I decided to buck up and give it a try.

It wasn't too bad since I was dressed warmly.  During the first mile, the balls of my feet became numb, but they warmed up in mile two.  In the third mile, it got super windy and I felt like I was running against the wind.  I thought I was going slow, but when I plugged in my Nike+, I saw that my pace wasn't slow at all.  Go me!
In fact, I ran the second mile in 8 minutes and 11 seconds.  Not bad at all!  My total time for 3.28 miles was 30 minutes and 16 seconds.






I'm so glad I chose to run outside instead of the gym.  I was proud of myself for not wimping out.  


Today, I had big plans to go for a run around the city in the neighborhood where I was dog/house sitting, but when I woke up, I just wasn't feeling it.  You know when you just want to lay around, drink tea, and read every magazine you can get your hands on?  That's the kind of mood I was in.

I went to the gym a little later in the afternoon to do some weight training and to run a quick mile on the treadmill.  I realized, running outside > treadmill. 

Can't wait for the Jingle Bell run!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!