Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Spelt Pancakes with Carmelized Bananas

Sometimes breakfast for dinner just feels right, and when it does, I make pancakes!


Last night, when I got home from work, I was craving something sweet and filling.  I found a bag of spelt flour in my kitchen and decided to look up a recipe for spelt pancakes.  I halved that recipe since we only needed enough pancakes for two.

Adapted from Whole grain council recipe:
1 cup whole spelt flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups 1% milk(we added a little more milk than the recipe called for)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)





What is so special about Spelt?
Spelt is an ancient grain with a nut-like and slightly sweet flavor.  Spelt is popular due to it's high protein and nutrient composition.  Spelt is a good source of calcium, magnesium, selenium, zinc, iron, and manganese. It also has vitamin E and B-complex vitamins, especially niacin.
Spelt can be used in place of whole wheat flour in most recipes.


As I made the pancake batter, CJ looked up a simple carmelized banana recipe, and whipped those up too.



Once the pancakes were done, we topped them with the bananas and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  They really hit the spot!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!