Thursday, March 22, 2012

Quiche- It's What's for Dinner

Quiche (or "egg pie" as I sometimes like to call it) is simple to make.  It takes about 15 min to prep and 30 min to bake.  It's filling, savory, and perfect for breakfast the next day!

Over time, I've been gradually attempting to make my quiches "healthier."

The first quiche I ever made was jam packed with cheddar, bacon, and heavy cream. It was scrumptious.

The second quiche I made was loaded with veggies and light cream, and still very delicious.

The third quiche I made was jam packed to the brim with all things green and earthy.  I sauteed some kale, steamed some broccoli, and fried up some mushrooms.
I mixed half 1%  milk and half light cream into the eggs.
It was satisfying and slightly healthier than the last.

The next quiche I make will have torillas for crust to eliminate the store bought pie crust, which contains partially hydrogenated lard (scary!) and is very high in saturated fat (yikes).

Step one: Prepare veggies.  I steamed the broccoli in the microwave, then chopped into small pieces.
I sauteed the kale in a little bit of olive oil, until wilted.
I chopped and sauteed the mushrooms in olive oil as well.
Lay out pie crust in pie dish.  I sprayed Pam cooking spray in mine to prevent it from sticking.


Start layering your veggies!  I also sprinkled in some reduced fat cheddar in between the broccoli and the kale.

In a medium bowl, whip up 6 eggs, and add 1/2 cup light cream and 1/2 cup 1% milk. Pour into pie dish over veggies.  Top with cheddar cheese and you're ready to bake.
When done, the quiche should look puffy, it will deflated when taken out of oven.  Use a toothpick to make sure it's cooked all the way through.  Let the quiche sit for about 10 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. By adding a little flour to the egg/milk mixture, you can fake the richness from the cream and save some calories and fat. I also ditch the crust-- a well-greased pan works wonders, and I never miss the crust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh good tip! Yea, maybe if the tortilla crust doesn't work out, I'll skip it all together. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!