Monday, April 30, 2012

Cheesy & Easy Chicken & Broccoli Casserole

On Sunday night, we wanted something quick, tasty, and cheesy for dinner.  I found the perfect recipe on Eating Well and we whipped it up.

I've never made a casserole before because honestly I didn't think people still made casseroles.  I put casseroles in the same category as fruitcakes and jello molds; something people make, and no one really likes, but someone always brings it to the party anyway.  But that's just me...
The Kitchen Table. Complete with Gurgle Pot!

For my first casserole, I think it came out pretty good, but I must say the directions are pretty fool-proof.

Cheesy & Easy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole (adapted from Eating Well Stovetop Chicken & Broccoli Casserole)

Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces egg noodles
  • 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 3 chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  • 1/3 head Broccoli
  • 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
  • 1/2 cup low fat Miracle Whip
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
Step one: put uncooked egg noodles in skillet, pour chicken broth over them, put raw chicken over that, and then top with broccoli.
Step two:  Whisk together flour, mayo, milk, mustard, and pepper.  Pour mixture over ingredients in skillet.
Step three:  Simmer in pan. 
Step four:  Sprinkle top of casserole with shredded cheddar and bake for 3 more minutes. How easy!

CJ and I were pretty skeptical of the directions,  I've never thrown a bunch of raw ingredients in a pan like that before and just let it simmer.  I guess that's just how casseroles roll.


 I think I just might have a new found respect for casseroles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!