Thursday, July 12, 2012

Half Marathon Training Plan

I had a minor freak-out on Monday:

My Half Marathon is in 10 weeks!

How did that happen?

In April I printed out a training plan that would lead me up to September for the Half marathon, but I haven't really been following it, and I started to get nervous.

On June 18th, having not run more than 6.5 miles since March, I went out and ran 10 miles.
I think I just wanted to prove to myself that I could still do it, and I could do it, but it wasn't pleasant and I ended up being sore for 3 days
My knees were killing me, and I knew it was time for new shoes.  I headed to Marathon Sports and got fitted. I also got a new sports bra so I can run with one instead of three. You can read about that experience here.

Now that I got the right shoes, the right bra, and the right attitude, I'm ready to take my training more seriously!

I use Smart Coach for all my race training.  I logged on and entered my recent 5k time (so they could gauge my pace), how many miles I want to run a week, and what day I would want my long run to be. 

Here is  what it said my training should look like for the next 5 weeks:


I like this plan because it only has one long run a week on Sundays and the rest of the weekday runs are on the short/totally manageable end.  I know that will work for me since I have to do my runs after work, and I know I wouldn't want to run 8 or 9 miles after working all day.

At the end of the 5 weeks, I plan to update you guys on how my training is going, and to share the training plan for the last 5 weeks of training.  I'm feeling pretty confident right now, but that could change if I get discouraged and fall off the motivation train. 

I really really really want to finish the race in 2 hours, which would mean running at a 9:09 min/mile pace, according to this calculator.  I don't like to get my hopes up too much, because I know If I don't make my goal, I'll be beating myself up about it.  In the past, I have cried after races when I didn't make my goal.  I need to learn to appreciate my body and it's ability to run this distance, and not just focus on the time.  My main goal should be to get to the finish line.  I'd like to do it without stopping to walk, and without crying/getting frustrated.  If I can do that, I think I'll be a happy girl.

:)




Have you ever cried or felt disappointed after a race?  I'd love to know I'm not the only one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!