Thursday, October 6, 2011

"You're such a Beer Girl"


I attended Harpoon's Octoberfest last Saturday.  As always, it was a good time.  I went with a friend from high school and a friend from college.  While sipping on some UFO,  my friend from high school turned to me and said, "You're such a beer girl."  I took offense to this.  I looked down at myself, "do I have a beer belly or something? That doesn't sound like a good thing."  She tried to explain, "No it's not a bad thing, you just enjoy beer."  I had to admit this was true.  Beer does tend to be my drink of choice.  Whether it's a hoppy IPA,  or a refreshing lager, I enjoy it all.
If I love it so much, why don't I know anything about it?   After a few hours of hanging out and drinking beer, we decided to take a tour of the brewery, mostly for the free samples, but also because we wanted to learn more.  The tour guide asked, "What are the four main ingredients in beer?"   uhhhhh can I buy a vowel?
Answer:
1.Hops
2. Water
3. Yeast
4. Malt
Duh! So simple!  She went on to explain the whole process and how they keep their yeast happy, and make their delicious beer for beer-loving girls like myself to enjoy. 
After I failed the pop quiz, we were lead into a bar above the brewery.  There they gave us samples of the tasty 100 barrel series and the scary Leviathan.  This 100 barrel series was called, Session 38: Docesna - Czech Hop Harvest Ale.  It was really good! Too bad they only make 100 barrels.  It was perfect for fall, nice and spicy.  The Leviathan Triticus was the next sample.  It weighs in at 11.5% alcohol.  That's as much as a wine, folks.  It was a little too strong for me, but I enjoyed getting to try it.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!